Have We Found the Toddler Eczema ‘Cure’?

458 Flares Twitter 17 Facebook 16 Google+ 6 Pin It Share 411 StumbleUpon 8 Email -- Filament.io 458 Flares ×

I am finally semi happy to report back on our journey with toddler eczema (atopic dermatitis)! I don’t know how you get eczema, and I haven’t figured out the cure for eczema, however, I HAVE found something that is working for Michael. Woo hoo!

What lotion helps clear up toddler eczema

You might remember last year Michael had an allergy blood test for his toddler eczema. Then I found out his toddler rashes weren’t caused by any of the common childhood allergens. *sigh* That meant I was left to figure out how to get rid of the rash on my own!  :(

Does Aveeno Baby help cure toddler eczema-

I told you I was starting with Aveeno Baby products because it’s Aveeno; I trust Aveeno, and it works for tons of people. The problem I ran into was Aveeno Baby just maintained the patches on his skin, it wasn’t improving his overall toddler eczema. (Mom-0 Eczema-500 million… just kidding! That is how it felt to me.) Dang that mom guilt!

The suspense is over…

Treating toddler eczema with Cetaphil lotion

Cetaphil is helping Michael’s toddler eczema!

Wooooo hoooo!

I’m hoping Cetaphil continues to work for him so I’m not throwing away any more money trying to figure this out. I don’t know which is more frustrating: not knowing the cause of eczema, spending oodles of money finding the miracle lotion, or watching him scratch his skin right off. (Obviously it is the latter, but you get my point.)

Will Purex Baby make toddler eczema worse-

Every new mom also wants to know what laundry detergent is the best for their baby’s skin and the jury will give them many different answers. As you can imagine, I am a big Free & Clear or bust type of gal because I play it safe. I recently said what the heck and tried Purex Baby detergent on Michael’s clothes because we love Purex detergents. So far so good, but I’m still leery because of the mild scent and how incredibly sensitive Michael is to everything. I guess you could call me paranoid!

I promise to update you with the effect it has, either way, on Michael’s toddler eczema. You know I’m not one to blow product review smoke up your perfectly toned tush because it’s a good time! :)

Purex provided me with a sample of Purex Baby detergent in exchange for a product review. All opinions and pictures are my own.

Comments

1. 3

says

After 16 months I think I finally found something that works on my son’s skin. He’s 18 months and I’ve tried everything under the sun, as I’m sure you have. I’m actually blogging right now about 2 products that work wonderfully, finally!!! I could jump up and down I’m so happy. No lotions anymore. It’s amazing. Exederm is what I’m in love with. Have you tried it yet?
    Tiffany C. recently posted..Brother + Sister at the ParkMy Profile

• 4

says

That is awesome, Tiffany! I’ve never heard of Exederm so I will have to keep that ‘on deck’ in case the Cetaphil stops working. Thanks for the tip!

2. 7

says

Yay for Mommy and Michael! I’m beginning to think that the “rashes” on my boy that I thought were ringworm and then allergy to the bandages…is actually eczema. Hydrocortisone gets rid of it the fastest, but it comes right back. I might have to check into Cetaphil and try some Purex. We use allergy free detergent anyway, but even a small change could make a big difference.
    JanetGoingCrazy recently posted..If I blog it, they will come…won’t they?My Profile

• 9

says

I’ve never heard of California Baby, thanks for the tip! Cetaphil has just about gotten rid of his eczema and I’m not having to reapply 4 times a day. What a relief!

3. 14

says

I’ll have to try the cetaphil on my own skin. Early winters are an ugly time for my poor hands. Thankfully my kids have never had eczema terribly, more just dry skin for them.
    Do you wash Michaels clothes separately from yours? If so, you are a better housewife then me, lol! I’m a big free and clear gal too, but I just wash all our clothes together. Maybe if I had an actual laundry room….
    Adelina Priddis recently posted..Just Do It! {Menu Plan}My Profile

4. 20

says

Our first had horrible eczema. Ouch! We had to go the .01% HC cream route from the Dr, but then maintained her skin with natural EVOO between breakouts. Double benefit – she tasted good too!

5. 24

Holly says

I have a 3 1/2 year old little girl that has been fought eczema since she was 4 months old. First it was bad behind her knees and it started oozing. We tried it all: prescription stuff 2 different kinds (didn’t work), and all types of over the counter that didn’t work. what finally cleared up the oozing was just an aveeno baby bath treatment and making sure she was in long pants (at night mostly) We live in SC during the summer you can’t wear long pants but to make sure it stayed dry and she stayed cool (portable fan on her stroller) Well after about a year of fighting it, I was desperate and nothing looked like it was going to clear it up completely I ran into a stranger that told me her mom used Castor Oil. I thought what the heck it was a $1 bottle I tried rubbing it on her skin and believe it or not it worked. We have been using since then. I use it after the bath in Aveeno. On irritated days we still you basic hydrocortisone cream and that does seem to relieve some of the itching. She is starting to outgrow most of it but we still have our bad days. The pool does the best during the summer. If you have tried everything and nothing seems to help try the Castor Oil it may help and it may not but you will never know if you don’t try it. Good luck to anyone else fight this battle.

6. 26

Jamie says

I, and my 18 month old daughter, have eczema. We learned from our pediatrician that it is hereditary and correlated to asthma and hay fever (correlation is not causation of course, but if you have one, you’re likely to have another). On the plus side, eczema is “easily” controlled, and will be outgrown (though it could be a few years). We use Aveeno shampoo and body wash, Tide Free and Clear laundry detergent, and Eucerin lotion (I used Cetaphil soap and Aveeno lotion when I had eczema as an adolescent). The Eucerin has been the BEST thing for her skin. We apply twice a day every day, and have a prescription cream when she gets a breakout (rare). Our pediatrician said eczema is the worst Thanksgiving – March, but I got it really bad in the summer too. He said Cera Vie is the best OTC, but it is pretty pricey, and can be hard to find (in our area, only Walgreens carries it) Good luck to you and your son!

7. 29

says

Yep Cetaphil is pretty amazing. We have been using it on my 3- almost 4 year old granddaughter. We use the wash and lotion every day. Unfortunately my son and his ex have split custody and mom just won’t follow the same routine that we are. She still has flare ups but is doing so much better.
    Arlene @FlourOnMyFace recently posted..Sweet and Spicy Pork RubMy Profile

8. 30

Kimberly says

Thank you for the tip regarding Cetaphil. My daughter has such sensitive skin. I have tried so many different products and over all the worst was Avenno. I have to use a soapless baby wash on her made by Johnson Johnson and I’ve just been using the plan Jane oriningal baby lotion. Everything else including baby oil would give her bad exzema. She is having an out break right now that I just can’t get rid of. I’m going to get the Cetaphil lotion and I hope that helps. What body wash do you use on your children? Just wondering if there was something else I could try. I hate the idea of a soapless body wash, but that’s the only thing that doesn’t irritate her skin. My daughter is also lactose intolerant and doesn’t do good with milk, but considering everything has milk in it she does consume a little each day. I keep milk, yogurt, cheese away from her but you wouldn’t believe how many products have milk in them, it so hard.

9. 31

Dawn Trapp says

My little guy gets it too. I made a mixture of unscented jergens lotion, vitamin e cream and coconut oil. We use it for all skin issues and it works awesome! Hopefully what your using works for you but if it doesn’t, try this!